PROFILE OF THE MAYOR OF NQUTHU MUNICIPALITY
Full name: Cllr. Emily N. Molefe
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF THE MAYOR
Presides at meetings of the Executive Committee and signs the minutes of its meetings.
Designates appropriate duties to the Deputy Mayor.
- Decides when and where the Executive Committee will meet, but if a majority of the members request the mayor in writing to convene a meeting of the committee, the Mayor must convene a meeting at a time set out in the request.
- Receives input on Council's IDP from the Municipal Manager, tables this in the Executive Committee, and conveys the recommendations of the Executive Committee to Council for approval of an IDP.
- Receives the Auditor-General's report and deals with it in terms of the relevant legislation.Performs all duties in terms of the Municipal Finance Management Act.
OTHER FUNCTIONS OF THE MAYOR
- She is the political head driving Council's policies and strategies
- Performs the duties, including any ceremonial functions, and exercises the powers delegated to the mayor by the Municipal Council or the Executive Committee.
- Interacts with the public.
- Receives and interviews representatives and delegations from public interest groups, and makes recommendations to the executive in this regard.
- Represents the Council at meetings and functions.
- Makes press statements on behalf of Council.
- Leads development and strategy processes.
- The public relations and external communication function in consultation with the Municipal Manager.
- Approves subsistence and travel claims of Municipal Manager/Acting Municipal Manager.
- Approves the attendance of conferences by the Municipal Manager/Acting Municipal Manager.
LINE OF AUTHORITY
Reports to the Executive Committee and Council.
POWERS DELEGATED TO THE MAYOR
- Takes all decisions in the execution of the functions of the Mayor.
- Approves leave for the Municipal Manager/Acting Municipal Manager.
- When the Council goes into recess, he/she in consultation with the Municipal Manager takes decisions on behalf of the Executive Committee or Councilors which if not taken would in some manner prejudice the Council.
- Take any necessary decisions if a Councilor is physically unable to do so which if not taken would in some manner prejudice the Council.
- Exercise any of the Councilor's powers subject to any Council or executive policy.
- Approves the use of Council's facilities by members of the Council in accordance with policy.
- Manages the evaluation of the Performance Management Agreement of the Municipal Manager.